Wednesday, 9 March 2016

HOW TO MIX STYLES..



Do you have stuff that you feel belongs to two different styles, some too modern and some too traditional? Did you just buy something on impulse and realized later that it's out of sync with your current style? Well, here's the good news, you can actually mix and match a few if not all of your stuff and create what's commonly known as the transitional décor. Here's my own recipe for getting the mix right and creating rooms that feel cohesive instead of crazy. Keep the ratio 80 : 20 in mind while designing. As long as you keep 80% of things from a similar period or style, you can deviate with the rest of the 20%

·       Some styles just don't mix. For example, Victorian décor is all about ornate excess, while Arts and Crafts favours simplicity. Therefore, Victorian décor marries well with Edwardian, Asian, formal English, and French furniture, while Arts and Crafts is better with contemporary pieces or country styles.
·       When mixing woods consider the formal or informal look. Mahogany, cherry and oak are formal, so they'll go well with one another. Pine, maple, and bamboo are casual choices, which means that they're compatible with one another but less so with formal woods.
·       In general, contemporary interiors feature 20 per cent multi-tone patterns and 80 per cent solid or tone-on-tone materials. In Traditional interiors tip the balance in favour of patterns. So if your family room is modern with monochromatic neutral fabrics, add some large floral-patterned pillows. Conversely, a traditional pattern-filled room requires visual breathing space, so incorporate solid expanses of colour.
·       Keep flooring neutral. Flooring tends to be a background player in transitional rooms. It's less about the material than about the colour — you can go with natural woods, stone, tile, carpeting etc as long as they're kept to a subtle, restrained palette. And this style also gives you a lot of leeway to combine multiple floor surfaces throughout a home.
·       Furniture. Keep the lines of the furniture straight with the occasional soft, sweeping curve thrown in for good measure. This furniture style creates a room that is not too manly and not too frilly, making it comfortable for all. An emphasis is placed on moderately scaled pieces that exude an unassuming, refined style. 
·       Lighting. If 80% of your lighting is in the ceiling, like recessed lighting or cove lighting, add a 20% of lighting source in the form of  table lamps, floor lamps etc. to create interest.

·       Focal point. If you have an assorted décor collection or a piece of furniture that just doesn't look like the rest of your stuff, don’t try to hide it. Draw attention to it by using it as the focal point of your space and building the rest of the room around it. This is a great way to turn something that normally wouldn't fit or match into the “wow” factor.

Remember that decorating and design rules are never written in stone. You can bend the rules when creating and decorating your room. After all, your home belongs to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment